MINUTES OF THE BETHANY ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS REGULAR MEETING OF MONDAY, MARCH 8, 2010 Page 1 of 3
The regular meeting of the Zoning Board of Appeals was called to order at 8:00 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the Bethany Town Hall, 40 Peck Road, Bethany, Connecticut.
The following Board Members were present:
Carol Goldberg, Chair
Ruth Beardsley, Vice Chair
Steven Massey, Member
James Gugliotti, Member
Bradford Buchta, Alternate Member, seated for 892 Amity Road, public hearing
Michael Hendrick, Alternate Member, seated as a voting member.
The following Board Member was absent or excused:
Ben Rosenbloom, Alternate Member
Also present were:
Isabel Kearns, Zoning Enforcement Officer
Karen Walton, Assistant Zoning Enforcement Officer
It was moved by Beardsley and seconded by Hendrick to approve the minutes of the February 8, 2010, Regular Meeting with the following correction:
· Page 2, Fifth Paragraph, Third Sentence: Reads “Also present representing the applicant was Attorney Nick Triana.” Change to “Also present representing the applicant was Attorney Nicholas Troiano.”
Voting for: Beardsley, Massey, Gugliotti, Hendrick.
1) Bill for $95.00 from John McLeod, Stenographer, for recording services of the ZBA Regular Meeting of March 8, 2010. It was moved by Beardsley and seconded by Hendrick to remove this bill from communications on the agenda due to cancellation of public hearing. Unanimous approval.
2) Letter from South Central Connecticut Regional Water Authority to Isabel Kearns, ZEO, dated February 1, 2010, Re: 892 Amity Road not on RWA public water supply watersheds.
3) Letter from Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies, submitted February 16, 2010, Re: Nominations for Length of Service Awards/Lifetime Achievement Awards.
4) Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies, 62nd Annual Conference, Thursday, March 18, 2010, Aqua Turf Country Club, Plantsville, CT.
5) Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies Quarterly Newsletter, Winter 2010.
6) Letter from the Planning and Zoning Commission, dated March 5, 2010, Re: Public hearing scheduled for revised draft of the Town Plan of Conservation and Development.
PUBLIC HEARING – 3 NORTHROP ROAD
The public hearing was not opened. The applicant, Nadia Fainstein, submitted an email to Isabel Kearns, Zoning Enforcement Officer, dated March 8, 2010, withdrawing her application and requesting a refund of any applicable fees.
PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUATION – 892 AMITY ROAD
Chair Goldberg recused herself.
Vice-Chair Beardsley opened the continuation of the public hearing at 8:02 p.m.
Vice-Chair Beardsley read the legal notice pertaining to the continuation of the public hearing for the application submitted by Joseph Kyc for property located at 892 Amity Road for a variance of relief from Zoning Enforcement Officer letter dated December 23, 2009, pertaining to “Portions of the driveways with grades exceeding 10 percent shall be paved” as stated in subdivision approval dated June 6, 2007.
Vice-Chair Beardsley noted that the Board received the following item relative to the subject application. Exhibit identification was assigned as noted:
a) Exhibit 2A – Letter from Isabel Kearns, ZEO, to Joseph Kyc owner of 892 Amity Road dated March 8, 2010, releasing the order in the letter dated December 23, 2009, regarding any portions of the driveway serving 892 Amity Road that exceed a 10 percent grade must be paved with asphalt.
The Zoning Enforcement Officer withdrew her order, dated December 23, 2009, making this issue moot. However, if order reestablished, the applicant can proceed to the Zoning Board of Appeals without prejudice.
There being no further discussion, at 8:10 p.m. Acting-Chair Beardsley closed the public hearing on the subject application.
It was moved by Gugliotti and seconded by Beardsley to adjourn the regular meeting at 8:11 p.m. Unanimous approval.
Antonia R. Marek, Clerk
For the Zoning Board of Appeals