MINUTES OF THE BETHANY PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION REGULAR MEETING OF WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2010 Page 1 of 4
The regular meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission was called to order at 7:04 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the Bethany Town Hall, 40 Peck Road, Bethany, Connecticut.
The following Commission members were present:
Sharon Huxley, Chairman
Melissa Spear, Vice-Chairman
John Ford IV, Member
Donald Shea Jr., Alternate Member, seated as a voting member.
Marc Adelberg, Alternate Member, seated as a voting member.
The following Commission members were excused or absent:
Mary Shurtleff, Member
Patricia Winer, Member
Nellie Rabinowitz, Alternate Member
Also present were:
Isabel Kearns, Zoning Enforcement Officer
Karen Walton, Assistant Zoning Enforcement Officer
Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant
Kevin McSherry, Town Attorney
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1. It was moved by Ford and seconded by Adelberg to approve, as submitted, the minutes of the September 1, 2010, Regular Meeting.
Voting for: Huxley, Spear, Ford, Shea, Adelberg.
1. Letter from John Paul Garcia and Associates, dated September 29, 2010, Re: 116 Sperry Road, withdrawal of Application 2010-013 by Claire Wiseman.
2. Letter from SCC Regional Planning Commission, dated September 17, 2010, Re: Town of Cheshire: Proposed Zoning Regulation Amendment to Section 41.5 – Revisions and Extensions and Section 41.6 – Condition of Approval.
3. Letter from Connecticut Economic Resource Center, Inc., dated September 3, 2010, Re: Seminar, October 6, 2010, entitled “Using Maps for Planning”.
1. It was moved by Shea and seconded by Ford to approve the payment of $1,000.00 (monthly pro rata basis), for services rendered for September 2010, by Hiram W. Peck III, AICP, Planning Consultant.
ZONING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT AND APPROPRIATE COMMISSION ACTION
Isabel Kearns, ZEO, reported on the following:
185 Beacon Road (Cusano) – The ZEO stated that the Cusano’s are once again parking trucks on their property.
Attorney McSherry stated the Town is in the process of filing an injunction against the Cusano’s. Attorney McSherry will keep the Commission informed.
437 Fairwood Road (Grieger) – The ZEO stated the owner of record has filed the mylar but has not posted the required bond. The Commission would like the ZEO to document the activity that is taking place at the property. Attorney McSherry will contact the owner of record regarding the bond.
1) Various locations, Application #2010-018 submitted by the Town of Bethany for road paving and drainage improvements –
The Commission formally received the application. Present to speak on behalf of the application was Kevin McSherry, Town Attorney. Attorney McSherry stated this proposal is for municipal improvements for the public safety and welfare of the community. The Commission received a letter dated September 27, 2010, from First Selectwoman Gorski with a list of the names of the roads to be repaired.
Chairman Huxley commented that by calling out specific roads and giving a specific list of the roads, would this limit what the Town can do with the funds if something happens to a road that is in need of repair. The Town Attorney stated the Commission could put a clause in the motion concerning other roads in need of repair.
Isabel Kearns, ZEO, prepared a draft resolution. Commission members discussed and proceeded to deliberate. It was moved by Spear and seconded by Shea to approve the following resolution for Application #2010-018:
Now Therefore Be It Resolved, that pursuant to the provisions of Section 8-24 of the General Statutes of the State of Connecticut, the Planning and Zoning Commission of the Town of Bethany hereby finds that the proposed road paving and drainage improvements on Wooding Hill Road, Perkins Road, Hunters Trail, Crestwood Road, Falcon Lane, Miller Road, Schaffer Road, Clay Road, Knollwood Road, Bethmour Road, Valley Road, Tawney Drive, Collins Road, Russell Road or additional roads that maybe selected by the Board of Selectmen and/or the Town Meeting, is not in conflict with the Bethany Town Plan of Conservation and Development.
Voting for: Huxley, Spear, Ford, Shea, Adelberg.
116 Sperry Road, Application #2010-013 submitted by Claire Wiseman for a Special Exception Permit for an Indoor Riding Ring, Addition to Barn, and Paddocks -
The public hearing was not opened. The Commission received a letter from John Paul Garcia, representing the applicant, dated September 29, 2010, withdrawing the application.
1. Revised Draft of the Town Plan of Conservation and Development – Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant distributed copies of the revised plan with the changes the Commission requested. The ZEO will prepare a publication to be published in the local papers announcing the revised plan has been adopted and the effective date is October 30, 2010.
The Commission made the following motions:
It was moved by Spear and seconded by Adelberg to approve the payment of a bill dated October 5, 2010, for $750.00 for services completed by “Laurel Graphic Design” of West Hartford, Connecticut, for the layout of the Town Plan of Conservation and Development.
It was moved by Shea and seconded by Adelberg to approve the payment of a bill dated October 5, 2010, for $130.68 for printing services completed by Southbury Printing Centre, Southbury, Connecticut. Unanimous approval.
It was moved by Shea and seconded by Adelberg to approve the payment of a bill dated October 6, 2010, for $69.17 for printing services completed by Southbury Printing Centre, Southbury, Connecticut. Unanimous approval.
It was moved by Adelberg and seconded by Shea to approve the recommendation of Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant, to have 25 copies of the revised Town Plan of Conservation and Development printed. Unanimous approval.
2. Discuss increasing application fees – Tabled.
3. Bethany Volunteer Fire Department revised Water Source Specifications – Tabled.
4. Discuss Architectural Reviews – Draft forwarded to the Board of Selectmen. Tabled.
5. Proposed Town of Bethany Noise Control Ordinance – Draft forwarded to the Town Attorney. Tabled.
6. Update on Halter Estates – Tabled.
It was moved by Shea and seconded by Spear to adjourn the regular meeting at 7:40 p.m. Unanimous approval.
Antonia R. Marek, Clerk
For the Planning and Zoning Commission