The regular meeting of the Inland Wetlands Commission was called to order at 7:48 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the Bethany Town Hall, 40 Peck Road, Bethany, Connecticut.
The following members of the Commission were present:
Patricia McGregor, Chairman
Alexandra Breslin, Vice-Chairman
John Kane, Member
The following members of the Commission were absent:
Jack Ellison, Member
Jon Painter, Member
Also present was:
Isabel Kearns, Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1. It was moved by Kane and seconded by Breslin to approve, as submitted, the minutes of the September 15, 2008, Regular Meeting.
1. Letter from Stephen Burt, 286 Carrington Road, submitted September 26, 2008, Re: Sediment control and silt barriers are in place for dredging at pond located at 286 Carrington Road.
2. Letter from SCC Regional Water Authority, dated October 6, 2008, Re: Review of application for residential site development, 31 Emerald Lane.
3. Letter from State of Connecticut, Department of Environmental Protection, dated September 16, 2008, Re: Copy of “Stream Crossing Guidelines”.
PUBLICATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
1. Sound Outlook, October 2008.
2. The Habitat, Summer 2008.
3. College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Fall 2008.
4. Connecticut Wildlife, September/October 2008.
1. North of 861 Litchfield Turnpike, Application #1114 submitted by Town of Bethany for an Inland Wetlands Permit to install one new 36” PVC pipe across Litchfield Turnpike - Present for this application was Alan Green, Director of Public Works, who will be supervising the work being performed. The Commission received the application. Mr. Green reviewed with the Commission the water problem on Litchfield Turnpike, the proposed corrective work to be completed and he stated the project will not commence until November. It was the consensus of the Commission to allow the start of construction if needed under the supervision of the Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer. Tabled.
1. 48 Clay Road, Application #1113 submitted by Tom Relihan – Baldwin Development for an Inland Wetlands Permit for a Residential Site Development – Present for this application were Tom Relihan, applicant and owner of record and Alan Green, Director of Public Works. The Commission received a letter from Nafis & Young, dated October 20, 2008, with their comments on the subject application. Also, the Commission received revised plans, dated October 17, 2008, from the applicant. Mr. Green reviewed the drainage issues. Commission members discussed and proceeded to deliberate. It was moved by Breslin and seconded by Kane to approve Application #1113 submitted by Tom Relihan of Baldwin Development for an Inland Wetlands Permit for a residential site development associated with drainage improvements being directed by the Town of Bethany Public Works Department and the Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer in accordance with the submitted plan entitled, “Site Development Map”, dated August 11, 2006, revised to October 17, 2008, prepared by Clarke & Pearson Associates, Ansonia, Connecticut and with the following conditions in addition to the standard conditions found on the Land Records Volume 93, Page 802 and Page 803:
a) The rain gardens are an integral part of this permit and must be maintained so they are functional at all times. Refer to Volume 177, Page 0068 on the Land Records in Town Clerk’s office for maintenance procedures.
b) Rain gardens to be inspected by the Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer each spring to assure maintenance and functionality.
c) This permit is contingent upon the receipt of a letter from the applicant’s design engineer stating that if the drainage is installed properly as shown on the plan this will not worsen the current drainage situation but improve the drainage.
2. 268 Wooding Hill Road, Reconvene “Show Cause” Hearing pertaining to the Cease and Desist Order issued to Mr. and Mrs. Bruce Hitchcock of 268 Wooding Hill Road, dated October 5, 2007 – See Item 3. Tabled.
3. 270 Wooding Hill Road, Reconvene “Show Cause” Hearing pertaining to the Cease and Desist Order issued to William Palmieri and Kathryn Sylvester of 270 Wooding Hill Road, dated October 5, 2007 – Isabel Kearns, Inland Wetlands Enforcement Agent, Alan Green, Director of Public Works and Dave Nafis of Nafis & Young visited the site today, October 20, 2008. Isabel Kearns stated that the drainage is being installed and she will continue to monitor. Tabled.
4. 185 Fairwood Road, Reconvene “Show Cause” Hearing pertaining to the Cease & Restore Order Issued to William Grieger, dated May 1, 2007 – No one was present. Tabled.
5. 185 Beacon Road, Reconvene “Show Cause” Hearing pertaining to the Cease and Restore Order Issued to Daniel Cusano, dated June 20, 2006 – No one was present. Tabled.
6. 27 Hamilton Drive, Reconvene “Show Cause” Hearing pertaining to the order to Cease Activity Issued to Daniel Dinas and Angela Cunha, dated May 9, 2006 – No one was present. Tabled.
7. Continue review and adoption process for the new Inland Wetlands Regulations (Adopt new Inland Wetlands Regulations at the same time as proposed Stormwater Regulations.) – Tabled.
Isabel Kearns, Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer, distributed copies of a sample blanket permit with the Public Works Department for the City of Middletown, Connecticut and discussed with Commission members as a proposal for the Town of Bethany Public Works Department. Commission members will review and discuss at the next regular meeting scheduled for November 17, 2008.
WETLANDS ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT
The following sites were inspected to determine whether IWC action is required for the proposed activities:
1) 4 Old Fairwood Road No IWC Action Required.
The following sites were inspected to authorize IWC approval for Certificate of Occupancy:
1) 71 Mesa Drive Okay to Issue C.O.
2) 112 Schaffer Road Okay to Issue C.O.
The following sites were inspected for permit compliance during construction:
1) 117 Litchfield Turnpike Okay.
2) 88 Litchfield Turnpike Site Work not started.
3) 226 Fairwood Road Re-inspection required.
4) 286 Fairwood Road Re-inspection required.
5) Wooding Hill (Palmieri/Hitchcock) Re-inspection required.
6) 832 Amity Road Re-inspection required.
7) 244 Amity Road Okay.
8) 96 Litchfield Turnpike Re-inspection required.
9) 64 Schaffer Road Re-inspection required.
It was moved by Kane and seconded by Breslin to adjourn the regular meeting at 8:47 p.m.
Antonia R. Marek, Clerk
for the Inland Wetlands Commission