MINUTES OF THE
INLAND WETLANDS COMMISSION REGULAR MEETING OF MONDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2012 Page 1 of 3 BETHANY
The regular meeting of the Inland Wetlands Commission was called to order at 7:34 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the
, Bethany Town Hall 40 Peck Road, . , Bethany Connecticut
The following members of the Commission were present:
Alexandra Breslin, Chair
Kristine Sullivan, Vice-Chair
Brian Smith, Member
Roger Hathaway, Member
The following member of the Commission was excused:
Lisa Gaw, Member
Also present was:
Isabel Kearns, Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1. It was moved by Smith and seconded by Hathaway to approve, as submitted, the minutes of the November 26, 2012, Regular Meeting.
Voting were: Sullivan, Smith, Hathaway.
2. It was moved by Smith and seconded by Hathaway to approve, as submitted, the minutes of the December 2, 2012, Special Meeting/Site Visit.
Voting were: Sullivan, Smith, Hathaway.
1. Letter from Town Clerk Nancy McCarthy, dated November 20, 2012, Re: Request for 2013 Meeting Schedule with attached 2013 meeting scheduled prepared to IWC clerk.
2. Letter from Society of Soil Scientists of Southern New England, Fall 2012, with attached copy of the 2012 edition of the “Registry of Soil Scientists of Southern New England”.
PUBLICATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
Federation of Lakes, CFL News, November 2012. Connecticut
1. Discussion with Liz Doering regarding Sperry View Farm,
91 Bethway Road, construction of a covered arena –
Present for this discussion were Mr. John Heagle of Megson & Heagle, Civil Engineers, Glastonbury, Connecticut representing Liz Doering, owner of record, who was also present.
Mr. Heagle submitted a plan entitled, “Site Plan #91 Bethway Road/Sperry View Farm” dated October 16, 2012, with no revisions. Mr. Heagle briefly reviewed the plan with the Commission and stated this property is a farm and this proposal should come under an as a right.
The Commission had a different opinion on this and would like to check with Town Counsel before making a decision. Also, the Commission would like to conduct a site visit. Tabled.
1. Frances Drive, Tawney Drive cul-de-sac, Knollwood Road, Bethridge Road and Bethmour Road from Woodbridge to Bethany Farms and from Pole Hill Road to Luke Hill Road, Application #1191 submitted by the Town of Bethany to remove and replace catch basins and pipe, reclaim and pave roads –
Commission members stated they visited the property on December 2, 2012, with Mr. Alan Green, Public Works Director.
It was moved by Sullivan and seconded by Smith to approve the road projects for Application #1191, with the exception of Bethridge Road, the approval including Frances Drive, Tawney Drive cul-de-sac, Knollwood Road and Bethmour Road from Woodbridge to Bethany Farms and from Pole Hill Road to Luke Hill Road as presented in the application and testimony and in addition, this permit is subject to the following conditions including the standard conditions found on the Land Records Volume 93, Page 802 and Page 803:
1) For Bethmour Road, on the lower portion where the catch basin exits on Pine Brook Crossing as noted in our field discussions dated December 2, 2012, that the silt fence and stone be removed so there is a better flow coming out of the pipe.
2) Where the pipe exits onto the private property of the Cohen’s, 96 Bethmour Road, that when the Town does this project they shall provide a design for some type of plunge pool and an exit to the street.
3) So that the Town will be in compliance, the Public Works Director shall submit a separate application for Bethridge Road.
Voting were: Breslin, Sullivan, Smith, Hathaway.
2. 185 Beacon Road, Discussion with Daniel Cusano regarding non-permitted barn –
The Commission did not receive a report from Roman Mrozinski of the Southwest Conservation District at this time. Tabled.
3. Continuation of Show Cause Hearing regarding Town of
Bethany drainage repairs conducted in a regulated area without an Inland Wetlands Permit –
Deferred taking any action due to more discussion needed. The Commission would like to revisit Clay Road and Anthony Court. Tabled.
4. Update on appeal submitted by James Woodward for
46 Mesa Drive –
The Commission has scheduled a Special Meeting/Executive Session with Attorney McSherry for Monday, January 14, 2013, at 7:30 p.m. Tabled.
5. Discussion in regard to amendments to the Inland Wetlands Regulations per State of
Member Sullivan is preparing the draft amendments. Tabled.
SCHEDULE SITE VISITS
The Commission scheduled a tentative site visit for Saturday, December 29, 2012, at 8:00 a.m. Commission members to meet at the Bethany Town Hall Parking Lot and will visit 91 Bethway Road – Sperry View Farm and revisit Clay Road and Anthony Court in regard to the Town of Bethany drainage repairs.
There being no further business to come before the Commission, it was moved by Smith and seconded by Hathaway to adjourn the regular meeting at 8:10 p.m. Unanimous approval.
Antonia R. Marek, Clerk
for the Inland Wetlands Commission