MINUTES OF THE BETHANY PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSIONREGULAR MEETING OF WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2009
The regular meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission was called to order at 7:34 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the Bethany Town Hall, 40 Peck Road, Bethany, Connecticut.
The following Commission members were present:
Sharon Huxley, Chairman
John Ford, Member
Mary Shurtleff, Member
Patricia Winer, Member
Marc Adelberg, Alternate Member
Nelly Rabinowitz, Alternate Member
Donald Shea Jr., Alternate Member, who was seated as a regular member.
The following Commission member was absent:
Melissa Spear, Vice-Chairman
Also present were:
Isabel Kearns, Zoning Enforcement Officer
Karen Walton, Land Use Assistant
Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1. It was moved by Winer and seconded by Shurtleff to approve, as submitted, the minutes of the January 14, 2009, Regular Meeting.
Voting were Huxley, Shurtleff, Winer, Shea, Adelberg.
1. Letter from Isabel Kearns, ZEO, to State of Connecticut, DEP, dated January 5, 2009, Re: Annual Report required by Section 6(i)(2) of the Permit for the Discharge of Stormwater from the Town of Bethany’s small storm sewer system.
2. Letter from QVHD to John Fanotto P.E., dated December 16, 2008, Re: Rescind and revoke previously approvals for subsurface sewage disposal system plans for Rolling Green Acres Subdivision in Bethany (Emerald Lane). Chairman Huxley stated the Planning and Zoning Commission approved Earth Removal Permits for these properties. Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant, will contact Town Attorney to inquire if any Commission action is required.
3. Letter from State of Connecticut, DEP, dated December 26, 2008, Re: Review of the Town of Bethany Local Noise Control Ordinance. Isabel Kearns, ZEO, stated she forwarded this letter to the Town Attorney.
4. Letter from SCC Regional Water Authority, dated January 12, 2009, Re: SCCRWA is a grant recipient under the State’s Open Space and Watershed Land Acquisition Program.
PUBLICATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
1. Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies Quarterly Newsletter, Winter 2009.
2. Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies, 61st Annual Conference, Thursday, March 19, 2009, Aqua Turf, Southington, Connecticut.
3. Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies, Length of Service Awards/Lifetime Achievement Awards.
4. Annual Meeting of the Connecticut Association of Wetland Scientist, Thursday, February 26, Mountain Ridge, Wallingford, Connecticut.
5. Clearscapes Newsletter, Winter 2009.
1. It was moved by Shurtleff and seconded by Winer to approve the payment of $1,000.00 (monthly pro rata basis) for services rendered for December 2008, by Hiram W. Peck III, AICP, Planning Consultant.
ZONING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT
91 Amity Road, Laticrete – Isabel Kearns, ZEO, spoke briefly about the lighting issue at Laticrete.
1. Discussion with ZEO pertaining to possible new use at Freezer Hill Mulch, 845 Carrington Road – Present for this discussion were Theron Simon and Bob Carrington, owners of record. Mr. Simon presented an overview of the proposed new use of composting horse manure on their site located at 845 Carrington Road. Mr. Simon stated he spoke with the Regional Water Authority and they were fairly receptive to this new use due to the lack of waste management in the Town of Bethany. Also, Mr. Simon stated he spoke with the State of Connecticut, Department of Environmental Protection and they forwarded to him the guidelines for horse manure composting (Mr. Simon distributed copies to the Commission members). The Commission was receptive to the proposed new use and informed Mr. Simon of the permits that would be required (site plan and new business use).
2. Discussion with Mike Katzmark, BVFD Representative pertaining to revised Water Source Specifications – Present for this discussion were Mike Katzmark, BVFD Representative and Rod White, Fire Marshal. Just when Chairman Huxley called for them to discuss, the BVFD alarm went off and Mr. Katzmark and Mr. White had to respond. The clerk was asked to put this item on next month’s agenda for Wednesday, March 4, 2009. Tabled.
1. Discussion with Mike Okrent pertaining to Zoning Regulation Amendment for Windmill, Towers, and Energy Producing Wind Devices – Mr. Okrent could not be present. Tabled.
2. Town Plan Revision – Discussion and possible action – Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant, distributed a revised draft, dated February 4, 2009, to Commission members for their review. Mr. Peck recommended adding in Chapter 2, Section 1: Land Use Goals and asked the Commission if anyone has suggestions to email them to him. Mr. Peck stated at the next meeting the Commission should decide when to have a public meeting on the revised Town Plan. Tabled.
3. Discuss Architectural Reviews – Draft forwarded to the Board of Selectmen. Tabled.
4. Proposed Town of Bethany Noise Control Ordinance – Draft forwarded to the Town Attorney. Tabled.
5. Proposed Ordinance Establishing Citation Procedures and Fines for Zoning Violations – Draft forwarded to the Board of Selectmen. Tabled.
6. Update on Halter Estates – Tabled.
It was moved by Winer and seconded by Shurtleff to adjourn the regular meeting at 8:35 p.m.
Antonia Marek, Clerk
For the Planning and Zoning Commission