MINUTES OF THE BETHANY INLAND WETLANDS COMMISSION
REGULAR MEETING OF MONDAY, MAY 24, 2010 Page 1 of 4
The regular meeting of the Inland Wetlands Commission was called to order at 7:49 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the Bethany Town Hall, 40 Peck Road, Bethany, Connecticut.
The following members of the Commission were present:
Patricia McGregor, Chairman
Alexandra Breslin, Vice-Chairman
Kristine Sullivan, Alternate Member, seated as a voting member.
The following members of the Commission were absent or excused:
Jack Ellison, Member
John Kane, Member
Jon Painter, Member
Brian Smith, Alternate Member
Also present were:
Isabel Kearns, Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer
Karen Walton, Assistant Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1. It was moved by Sullivan and seconded by Breslin to approve, as submitted, the minutes of the April 26, 2010, Regular Meeting.
Voting for: McGregor, Breslin, Sullivan.
1. Letter from Halter Estates Senior Community, LLC, dated May 5, 2010, Re: Request for extension of IW Permit #1019 for 4 and 21 Meyers Road, Halter Estates Senior Community, LLC.
2. Letter from Isabel Kearns, IWEO, to Erik Scott, Eagle Scout, dated April 29, 2010, Re: IW Application #1145 for the installation of two benches at 265 Beacon Road.
3. Letter from Karen Walton, Assistant IWEO, dated May 3, 2010, Re: 4 Peck Road, Soil Erosion Issue.
PUBLICATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
1. Connecticut Federation of Lakes News, May 2010.
1. 4 and 21 Meyers Road, letter from Dean Fiske, Halter Estates Senior Community LLC, dated May 5, 2010, requesting a five-year extension of IW Permit #1019 to discharge stormwater into the upland review area –
Present for this request was Dean Fiske of Halter Estates Senior Community LLC. Mr. Fiske briefly explained that the IW Permit #1019 will expire on September 2, 2010, and he is requesting a five-year extension. It was moved by Sullivan and seconded by Breslin to extend Permit #1019 for Halter Estates Community, LLC, for five-years with an expiration date of September 2, 2015. Unanimous approval.
2. 35 Luke Hill Road, Application #1147 submitted by Christine and Mike Thomas for an IW Permit for the installation and construction of an above-ground pool and 12-foot by 8-foot deck –
The Commission formally received the application. Present to speak on behalf of the application was Christine Thomas, applicant and owner of record.
Mrs. Thomas reviewed the proposed project noting:
· That the application is for an above-ground 18-foot round pool with a deck.
In discussion, Commission members noted:
· That the deck and pool are separate from the house.
· That a copy of the pool filter information be placed in the application file.
· That the property is not located in a Public Water Supply Watershed.
Commission members proceeded to deliberate. It was moved Sullivan and seconded by Breslin that the Inland Wetlands Commission delegate to its duly authorized agent, Isabel Kearns, the authority to approve Application #1147 submitted by Christine and Mike Thomas for an Inland Wetlands Permit for the installation and construction of an above-ground pool and a 12-foot by 8-foot deck located at 35 Luke Hill Road, which will result in no greater than a minimal impact on any wetlands or watercourses. Unanimous approval.
3. 116 Sperry Road, Application #1148 submitted by Claire Wiseman for an IW Permit to construct an indoor riding arena, barn extension, paddock and modify driveway –
The Commission formally received the application. Present to speak on behalf of the application was John Paul Garcia, P.E./L.S., representing the applicant, Claire Wiseman, who was also present for the meeting.
Mr. Garcia reviewed the proposed project noting:
· That Ms. Wiseman is in the process of purchasing the property.
· That the application has been sent to SCC Regional Water Authority and Quinnipiack Valley Health District for review.
· That the applicant would like a separate driveway to access the house and a separate driveway to access the barn.
In discussion, Commission members noted:
· That the engineer will discuss with the applicant the Commission’s recommendation of one driveway with a split.
The Commission scheduled a site visit for Tuesday, June 8, 2010, at 6:30 p.m. Commission members to meet at the site.
Further discussion and appropriate action on the application was deferred until the Commission’s next regular meeting on Monday, June 28, 2010. Tabled.
1. 21 Hinman Road, Application #1146 submitted by David Sembiante for an IW Permit for the construction of a 20-foot by 20-foot garage addition -
No one was present to speak on behalf of the application.
Commission members briefly reviewed and proceeded to deliberate.
It was moved by Breslin and seconded by Sullivan to approve Application #1146 submitted by David Sembiante for an Inland Wetlands Permit to construct a 20-foot by 20-foot garage addition located at 21 Hinman Road, in accordance with the submitted plan entitled, “As-built Plot Plan, Lot No. 2, Mill Haven Est. West, Hinman Road, Bethany, Connecticut, 21 Hinman Rd.”, submitted April 1, 2010, with hand-drawn colored markings prepared by the applicant and this approval is subject to the standard conditions found on the Land Records Volume 93, Page 802 and 803. The Commission’s decision was based on the fact that if the project is completed in accordance with the submitted plans there will be no impact on the onsite or adjacent wetlands. Unanimous approval.
WETLANDS ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT
There was no report.
It was moved by Sullivan and seconded by Breslin to adjourn the regular meeting at 8:22 p.m. Unanimous approval.
Antonia R. Marek, Clerk
for the Inland Wetlands Commission