MINUTES OF THE SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BETHANY PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION ON WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2012 Page 1 of 2
The Special Meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission was called to order at 7:07 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the Bethany Town Hall, 40 Peck Road, Bethany, Connecticut.
The following Commission Members were present:
Melissa Spear, Chair,
Mary Shurtleff, Vice-Chair
Patricia Winer, Member
Kimberly McClure Brinton, Member
Michael Calhoun, Member
The following Commission Members were absent or excused:
Nellie Rabinowitz, Alternate Member
Donna Shea, Alternate Member
Also present were:
Isabel Kearns, Zoning Enforcement Officer
Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant
• Discussion regarding Village Districts.
• Discussion and possible action to set public hearing date regarding proposed amendments to the Zoning Regulations on accessory buildings, signage for larger parcels, home occupation permits, etc.
Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant, prepared and distributed handouts to Commission members entitled as follows:
• Draft Design Advisory Board.
• Proposed Zoning Regulation Amendments – Section 4 – Residential Zones, Uses & Regulations – April 2, 2012 – Revised October 20, 2012.
• Definition of “primary structure” and “accessory use”.
• Wording for consideration for Zoning Regulation Revisions, dated June 29, 2012.
• Digital Mapping Data Submission Requirements, dated June 29, 2012.
• Sign types (for consideration in future), dated July 10, 2011.
Some topics that were discussed:
• Village districts (walkable). Mr. Peck will gather some examples for December regular meeting.
• Low Impact Development Standards.
• Definitions for barn, boarding stable, indoor riding arena.
• Regulation limiting the number of animals (cows, horses, goats, etc.) allowed by property size. Member Brinton will gather information pertaining to this.
• Illegal signs in Town.
Commission members will review all handouts and prepare comments.
The Commission received a letter from Rod White, Fire Marshal, dated October 24, 2012, Re: Proposed Zoning Amendments regarding fire suppression. Isabel Kearns, ZEO, will work with Mr. White to prepare amendments in a format for the zoning regulations.
The Commission will schedule another special meeting at a future date to continue discussions.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:28 p.m.
Antonia Marek, Clerk
For the Planning and Zoning Commission