MINUTES OF THE BETHANY INLAND WETLANDS COMMISSION REGULAR MEETING OF MONDAY, MARCH 18, 2019 Page 1 of 3
The regular meeting of the Inland Wetland Commission was called to order at 7:37 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the Bethany Town Hall, 40 Peck Road, Bethany, Connecticut.
The following members of the Commission were present:
Kristine Sullivan, Chairman
Roger Hathaway, Member
James Nickle, Alternate Member, seated as a voting member
The following members of the Commission were absent:
Nancy Scanlon, Member
Charles Clark, Alternate Member
Rob Huxley, Alternate Member
Also present was Isabel Kearns, Inland Wetlands Enforcement Officer
1) 49 EMERALD LANE, Application #1319 submitted by Mesa Excavation & Paving Inc. for an IW Permit for a residential site development –
The Commission formally received the application. No one was present to speak on behalf of this application.
Commission members reviewed the proposed site plan and noted the onsite wetlands.
The Commission would like to conduct a site visit and asked Ms. Kearns to contact the project engineer to stake the corners of the house, center of the driveway, and corners of the septic.
Further discussion and appropriate action on the application was deferred until the Commission’s next regular meeting adjourned to Monday, April 15, 2019. Tabled.
1) Discussion and appropriate action on amended Cease and Desist Order, dated November 13, 2018, amended on November 20, 2018, issued to Alan Green, Director of Bethany Public Works Department and Paul Crotta, Registered Agent, Mesa Construction Company for property located at Rural Old Mill Road South of Valley Road –
The Commission would like to visit the site again before taking action on this item.
Further discussion and appropriate action on the application was deferred until the
Commission’s next regular meeting adjourned to Monday, April 15, 2019. Tabled.
2) Discussion with Susan March of 285 Sperry Road regarding location of shed for goats and the Farm Service Agency of the State of Connecticut – Tabled.
Present for this discussion was Susan Marsh, owner of record. Mrs. Marsh stated she contacted the Farm Service Agency of the State of Connecticut and they did an evaluation and a soil scientist study of her property.
Chair Sullivan stated the Farm Service Agency does not have jurisdiction over the local wetlands agency. The Commission would like a copy of the report from the Farm Service Agency and then will contact DEEP for guidance.
Further discussion was deferred until the Commission’s next regular meeting adjourned to Monday, April 15, 2019. Tabled.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1) It was moved by Nickle and seconded by Sullivan to approve, as submitted, the minutes of the December 17, 2018, Regular Meeting.
Voting for: Sullivan, Nickle, Hathaway.
1) Letter from Aquarion Water Company, dated February 8, 2019, Re: Aquarion Environmental Champion Awards program.
2) Copy of CT DEEP Permit Application for the Use of Pesticides in State Waters for Albers Pond, 88 Beacon Road, received February 4, 2019.
3) Copy of Notification of Timber Harvest from South Central Connecticut Regional Water Authority, dated January 30, 2019, property location: South of Hoadley Road, North of Hatfield Hill Road, West of Downs Road.
4) Copy of Notification of Timber Harvest from South Central Connecticut Regional Water Authority, dated December 28, 2018, property location: East of Wooding Hill Road, North of Hoadley Road, West of Wooding Hill Road and North of Porter Hill Road.
SCHEDULE SITE VISIT
The Commission scheduled a site visit for Saturday, March 30, 2019. Members to meet at Old Mill Road for 8:30 a.m. Sites to be visited are as follows:
· Old Mill Road
· 49 Emerald Lane
There being no further business to come before the Commission, it was moved by Hathaway and seconded by Nickle to adjourn the regular meeting at 8:07 p.m.
Voting for: Sullivan, Hathaway, Nickle.
Antonia R. Marek, Clerk
For Inland Wetlands Commission