DISTRICT ANIMAL CONTROL
Serving the Towns of Bethany – Orange - Woodbridge
Phone @203) 389-5991
135 Bradley Road
Woodbridge, CT 06525
Approved Minutes for DAC Board Meeting May 18, 2011
Present: Joan Blaskey, Joseph Hellauer, Cheryl Lipson, Fred Dray, Pamela Andreson, Clerk
Absent: Brian Laubstein, DVM, James Zeoli
Staff: Paul Niedmann, Karen Lombardi, Dottie Bedan
1) Meeting was called to order by Chairperson Blaskey at 7:30 PM.
2) Pledge Of Allegiance was recited.
3) Public Participation: No public.
4) Review and approval of April 14, 2011 minutes: Motion by Dray/Lipson to approve minutes.
5) Treasurer's Report – Joseph Hellauer: Hellauer supplied a report generated by Genovese. Bank
accounts will have a positive balance for the remainder of May and June. Lipson questioned the
available budget. Motion by Dray/Hellauer to accept treasurer's report. Three approved, 1
6) Census – Paul Niedmann: For the month of April, Bethany had 3 dogs, 5 cats and 36 calls, 2
animals to the state lab and 1 cat euthanized. Orange had 2 dogs, 6 cats, and 31 calls, 1 animal to
the state lab, and 1 cat euthanized. Woodbridge had 4 dogs, 0 cats and 28 calls. Bethany had 4
possible animal cruelty calls concerning horses and 1 horse fatality. Six dogs were redeemed, 9
animals were sold as pets. There were 148 calls, 95 calls required a DAC officer response, the
rest were resolved by phone. The general report does not include calls regarding other domestic
animals that require investigation, or wildlife calls. There are also several open cases involving
animal owners that require constant monitoring to ensure public and animal safety.
7) Chairperson's Report – Joan Blaskey: Dray has volunteered to help with the boy scout project.
There will be a meeting on June 8, 2011 in Orange to decide if Orange will stay with DAC or
not. Niedmann and Lombardi gave an informational talk to employees of Southern CT Gas in
Orange on how to avoid getting bitten by dogs. Hellauer asked that Dorso be taken off the oncall
list. There is a new kennel person coming in on Sunday's for 3 hours.
8) Motion to adjourn by Hellauer/Dray at 8:30 PM
9) Meeting adjourned 8:31 PM.
Pamela Andreson Approved May 18, 2011