MINUTES OF THE
ZONING BOARD OF
APPEALS REGULAR BETHANY
MEETING OF MONDAY, AP
The regular meeting of the Zoning Board of Appeals was called to order at 7:01 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the
, Bethany Town
Hall . 40 Peck Road,
Roll call was taken.
The following Board Members were present:
James Seaton, Chairman
Ruth Beardsley, Vice-Chairman
Margaret Foley, Member
Lisa Gaw, Member
Thomas Magda, Member
Nick DiGiorgi, Alternate Member
Shirley Lasch-Gobilirsch, Alternate Member
The following Board Member was absent:
Thomas Mabry, Alternate
Also present was: Isabel Kearns, Zoning Enforcement Officer
It was moved by Foley and seconded by Beardsley to approve the minutes of the March 14, 2016, Regular Meeting, with the following amendment:
· Page 1, Under BILL, Change date from March 14, 2015 to March 14, 2016.
Voting for: Seaton, Beardsley, Foley, Gaw, Magda.
It was moved by Beardsley and seconded by Gaw to approve the payment of a bill for $105.00, dated April 10, 2017, from Anne Sohon for recording services for the public hearing (15 Woods Road).
Voting for: Seaton, Beardsley, Foley, Gaw, Magda.
OTHER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED:
A. Letter from Isabel Kearns, ZEO, to Mr. and Mrs. Edmond Caporaso, owners of 15 Woods Road, dated January 21, 2017, Re: Proposed detached garage.
B. Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies Quarterly Newsletter, Spring 2016.
C. Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies Quarterly Newsletter, Summer 2016.
D. Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies Quarterly Newsletter, Fall 2016.
E. Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies Quarterly Newsletter, Winter 2017.
PUBLIC HEARING – 15 WOODS ROAD
At 7:04 p.m., Chairman Seaton opened the public hearing in regard to the application submitted by Edmond and Tami Caporaso for property located at 15 Woods Road seeking the following variance of Sections 3.4 and 4.1.C. of the Bethany Zoning Regulations for a detached garage:
· A 33.5-foot variance of the side yard setback to allow a 16.5-foot side yard setback.
Chair Seaton read the legal notice for the public hearing. Roll call was taken.
Member Beardsley stated she is a neighbor of Amy Ravitz, who is an abutting property owner to the subject property, and that this will not interfere with her judgment.
It was noted that all members visited the subject property except for Chair Jim Seaton.
Present for this application were Tami and Edmond Caporaso, applicants and owners of record.
Mrs. Tami Caporaso noted the following during discussion:
· Would like to locate garage at end of driveway.
· Owned property for 3 years. House was built in 1935.
· A lot of ledge and a lot of slope on property.
· Land slopes down past shed and ground is soft.
· Garage would be less visual to the neighbor on the hill if located in proposed area.
Commission members noted:
· Proposed garage needs to be 25 feet from the tank.
· 1935 house was built; can’t attach garage to house.
· There are no permits for the house due to the age of home.
· Applicant has not done any test pits in area proposing garage.
Chairman Seaton noted that the Board received the following items relative to the subject application. Exhibit identification was assigned as noted:
1) Exhibit 1A – Letter from Isabel Kearns, ZEO, to Tami and Edmund Caporaso dated January 21, 2017, Re: Proposal to locate detached garage not in compliance at 15 Woods Road.
2) Exhibit 1B – Letter from Tami Caporaso of 15 Woods Road, dated March 21, 2017, Re: Subject property not located within 500 feet of a town boundary.
3) Exhibit 1C – Letter from Tami Caporaso of 15 Woods Road, dated March 21, 2017, Re: Requesting waiver of T-3 topographic survey requirement.
4) Exhibit 1D – Copy of Assessor’s Survey Map with 15 Woods Road yellow highlighted.
5) Exhibit 1E – Letter from South Central Regional Water Authority, dated April 3, 2017, Re: No comment on review of application for variance for 15 Woods Road.
6) Exhibit 1F -“Certificate of mailing” dated March 7, 2017, listing addresses of the surrounding property owners within 100 feet of the property that were notified of this application.
7) Exhibit 1E – Copy of map entitled, “Property Survey prepared for Edmund F. & Tami E. Caporaso, 15 Woods Road, Bethany, Connecticut”, dated January 20, 2017 revised to February 22, 2017, prepared by Riordan Land Surveying, Woodbury, CT.
8) Exhibit 1F – Copy of As-Built Plan, dated October 23, 2013, of septic system replacement located at 15 Woods Road.
The Board recommended that the applicant conduct exploratory work to test the proposed area for ledge.
At 7:32 p.m., Chair Seaton recessed the public hearing and continued the public hearing to the next regular meeting on Monday, May 8, 2017, at 7:00 p.m.
There being no further business to come before the Board, it was moved by Beardsley and seconded by Foley to adjourn the regular meeting at 7:33 p.m.
Antonia R. Marek, Clerk
For the Zoning Board of Appeals
RIL 10, 2017 Page 1 of 3