MINUTES OF THE BETHANY PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION REGULAR MEETING OF WEDNE
The regular meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission was called to order at 7:02 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the Bethany Town Hall, 40 Peck Road, Bethany, Connecticut.
The following Commission Members were present:
Kimberly McClure Brinton, Chair
Michael Sullivan, Vice-Chair
Michael Calhoun, Member and Secretary
Donna Shea, Member
Doug Goldner, Member
Bradford Buchta, Alternate Member
Carol Lambiase, Alternate Member
Eric McDonald, Alternate Member
Also present were:
Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant
Isabel Kearns, Zoning Enforcement Officer
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- It was moved by Calhoun and seconded by Goldner to approve the minutes of the January 4, 2017, Regular Meeting with the following correction:
- Page 5, First Paragraph, Third Sentence – Reads “ Mr. Patel stated he would like to expand the existing liquor store in Unit” Change to “Mr. Patel stated he would like to expand the existing liquor store in Unit 9A.”Voting for: Brinton, Sullivan, Calhoun, Shea, Goldner.
- It was moved by Calhoun and seconded by Sullivan to approve the payment of $1,200.00 (monthly pro rata basis), for services rendered for January 2017, by Hiram W. Peck III, AICP, Planning Consultant.
Voting for: Brinton, Sullivan, Calhoun, Shea, and Goldner.
- It was moved by Sullivan and seconded by Shea to approve the payment of a bill for $125.00, dated for February 1, 2017, from Anne Sohon for recording services for the public hearings (Zoning Amendment).Voting for: Brinton, Sullivan, Calhoun, Shea, Goldner.
- Email from Eugene Livshits, of South Central Regional Council of Governments, dated January 5, 2017, Re: Referrals from the Town of Hamden, amendments to Zoning Regulations.
- Letter from Isabel Kearns, ZEO, to Karolina Fiuk of 329 Brooks Road, dated January 17, 2017, Re: Notice of Violation, discarded debris and construction materials.
PUBLICATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
- CBA Education & Training – Connecticut Land Use Law for Municipal Land Use Agencies, Boards, and Commissions, Saturday, March 25, 2017, Middletown, CT.
- Connecticut Federation of Planning and Zoning Agencies, Quarterly Newsletter, Winter 2017.
- Proposed amendment to Section 7 – Signs and Parking & Loading Regulations – to add Subsection 7.3.1. – Special Exception for lighted signs in the Business and Industrial Zone –
At 7:21 p.m., Chair Brinton called the public hearing continuation to order. Roll call was taken. Chair Brinton read the notice for the public hearing continuation.
Chair Brinton asked if anyone from the public would like to speak in favor of the application or against the application. The following members of the public spoke:
- Bruce Loomis of 11 Sabrina Drive, Bethany.
- Robert White of 579 Bethmour Road, Bethany.
- Patsy Winer of 9 Carrington Road, Bethany.
Some items noted in discussion by the Commission were:
- Concerned with intensity of LED lighting.
- Need to control intensity of proposed lighting.
Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant, will ask Town Attorney to get involved on legalities and will revise proposed amendment to address comments from Commission members.
At 7:41 p.m., it was moved by Calhoun and seconded by Shea to recess the public hearing and continue it to the next Regular Meeting on Wednesday, March 1, 2017, in the Commission Meeting Room. Hearings will start at 7:15 p.m.
Voting for: Brinton, Sullivan, Calhoun, Shea, Goldner.
- 165 Sperry Road, Application #2017-001 submitted by Raymond Gillmor for a Special Exception Permit for an Accessory Apartment –
The Commission formally received the application. Present was Raymond Gillmor, Applicant and Owner of Record.
Isabel Kearns, ZEO, recommended the Commission schedule a public hearing. It was moved by Calhoun and seconded by Goldner to schedule a public hearing at the next regular meeting on Wednesday, March 1, 2017, at 7:15 p.m. in the Commission Meeting Room of the Bethany Town Hall. Unanimous approval.
- Discussion with Wendy and Bill Grieger regarding 12 Pleasant Drive tenants. –Present for this discussion were Bill and Wendy Grieger. Mr. Grieger asked the Commission if a tenant that wants to store antique cars in the building needs to come before the Commission with an application.Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant, stated an application for New Business Use is necessary and that there is no servicing of vehicles allowed in the building which was stated in the previous approval.Mr. Grieger would like to change out some of the shrubs to deer resistant plantings. The Commission would like to see what plantings Mr. Grieger is proposing at the next regular meeting on March 1, 2017.Isabel Kearns, ZEO, asked for clarification as to the fact that Mr. Grieger owns the building and he will get authorization from the tenants to apply for the new business. Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant, stated Mr. Grieger can submit the application for the tenants due to the fact that he is the owner of the property but needs to be clear who the tenant will be.OLD BUSINESS
- Proposed amendment to Section 7 – Signs and Parking & Loading Regulations – to add Subsection 7.3.1 – Special Exception for lighted signs in the B&I Zone - Public hearing scheduled for December 7, 2016 – Public hearing continued to the next regular meeting on March 1, 2017. Tabled.
- Discussion with Town Attorney regarding open space and coordination issues – Tabled.
- Discuss future Land Use Plan (possible insertion in Town Plan of Conservation & Development) – Tabled.
- Discussion regarding the rewriting of the current Zoning Regulations –
Hiram Peck, Planning Consultant, submitted the following and reviewed with Commission:
- Revised Draft, dated January 22, 2017, Sign Regulations.
- Draft, dated February 2, 2017, Proposed Amendment to Bethany Zoning Regulations – Attainable Housing Overlay Zone (AHOZ).
ZONING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT –
Isabel Kearns, ZEO, reported on the following:
- Submitted report on Building Permits dated February 1, 2017.
It was moved by Calhoun and seconded by Sullivan to adjourn the regular meeting at 8:15 p.m.
Voting for: Brinton, Sullivan, Calhoun, Shea, Goldner.
Antonia R. Marek, Clerk
for the Planning and Zoning Commission
SDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2017
Page 1 of 5